Key information you should know
- A child’s mental health is incredibly important in their growth.
- Now more than ever, parents are utilising the expertise of child behavioural psychologists and therapists to help their child grow into a healthy adult.
- Our child psychologists are experienced in helping children with mental health challenges.
Learning skills to be able to manage emotions, navigate friends, set boundaries, develop healthy self-esteem and cope with perfectionism are all important skills. Giving a child these skills can be a gift for life and will assist to promote lifelong positive mental health.
Often children are not good at articulating issues, but a child psychologist will be able to help the child learn how to have a voice and address their worries rather than just suffering silently.
It is not uncommon for a child that is experiencing low mood to present with irritability or other behaviours that are challenging. Knowing how to help your child, as well as your child learning their own coping strategies can be very empowering and rewarding for both the child and their family members.
How do I know if my child needs to see a psychologist?
At Clear Health Psychology, our child psychologists have a wealth of experience in providing support for children and adolescents with issues such as anxiety, depression, poor school performance or school refusal and resilience. We also work with children who score well on intelligence tests, providing them with specific tools and skills to navigate their strengths and differences.
Some of the most common reasons parents bring their children in to see our child psychologists include:
- Poor confidence or self-esteem issues
- Acting out, rude or aggressive behaviours
- Shy and anxious or clingy and tearful
- Sleep difficulties or inability to put themselves to sleep without significant assistance from a parent
- IQ assessments
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Assessments and treatment
- Issues at school
- Emotional regulation
- Challenging behaviours
- Learning difficulties
- Attention problems
- Executive functioning delays
- Grief and loss due to family bereavement, separation, or divorce.
- Suicidal thoughts
- Adjustment concerns (new school, divorce, friendships)
- Eating disorders
- Substance use
Tailored treatment and psychology services for children
Clear Health Psychology have highly experienced psychologists and clinical psychologists that can provide support and tailored treatment for children and adolescents. They will be able to implement varying strategies and therapy approaches that best suit an individual’s needs. These include:
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Schema Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and
- Reprocessing (EMDR),
- Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA).
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Narrative therapy and Systemic family therapy
- Play therapy
Our child psychologists will utilise their years of experience, diverse evidence-based strategies and therapeutic approaches to work with parents, caregivers and children to navigate through life’s difficult times.
At Clear Health Psychology, we can provide both counselling and assessments for children, adolescents, parents, and families at one of our nine convenient locations around the Perth metropolitan area.
Our team of registered psychologists and clinical psychologists have the experience and capacity to complete a clinical assessment and provide tailored support and counselling for a range of emotional, mental, and behaviour issues and disorders.
Whilst there are some common themes and evidenced-based treatment approaches, we understand that every child is different. At Clear Health Psychology, our child and family psychological services begin with a comprehensive clinical assessment (in a fun way for your child) which will then lead to treatments which are tailored to your child’s needs.
Book an appointment
To learn more about our children’s counselling services in Perth, please contact Clear Health Psychology on (08) 6424 8177. We offer both face-to-face and telehealth appointments at all Clear Health Psychology clinic locations.